Thursday, April 12, 2012

Silence

I struggled with Marianne Moore quite a bit. However, I feel like I have a grasp on her poem "Silence." In a nutshell, I feel the poem is a warning about the temperament of "superior people." Particularly, I feel this poem comes from the point of view of someone whose father shared these thoughts with him/her. If such people do not stay for long visits, it's probably because their haughtiness gets the best of them. Although they are self-reliant, they are so in a way that they victimize innocent bystanders, like the mouse to the cat. They reward themselves for their victimization by being in solitude, away from anyone "beneath" them, meaning not up to their standards. I found the line "The deepest feeling always shows itself in silence" (line 10) particularly strong, mostly because I do not associate keeping strong feelings inside of me, and nor do many of the authors and philosophers we read, I feel. However, these "superior people" may choose to keep their deepest feelings in silence so as to control the situations they find themselves in, which is implied by the following line that states, "Not in silence, but restraint" (line 11). At the same time, this father allows his child to "Make [his] house your inn" (line 14), which upon first impression is a nice gesture, but inns are temporary. Therefore, it is plausible to assume that this father/child relationship has dwindled, and now the child has become the type of person his/her father previously warned him/her about. In a way, this may be a message about growing up and going out to experience new things and losing touch of family values. How did others interpret this poem?

No comments:

Post a Comment