Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Idea of Order at Key West

I never cease to be moved by the pure music of these lines. I have to read them out loud, every time. I don't know what they mean. They mean their music. That's all I have to say. (Not really, of course, but I'll save the rest for class).

She sang beyond the genius of the sea.
The water never formed to mind or voice,
Like a body wholly body, fluttering
Its empty sleeves; and yet its mimic motion
Made constant cry, caused constantly a cry,
That was not ours although we understood,
Inhuman, of the veritable ocean.

6 comments:

  1. While I wholeheartedly agree that these are especially moving lines, my issue with poetry is exactly that I don't know what they mean--that they "mean their music." Maybe I am heartless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEVER MIND! I had a breakthrough! Ian's to thank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a vulgar metaphor which translated to "You need to learn how to feel things--how to fabricate them-- and to know that this is all you can ever do." And then he reprimanded me for whining. And then I took my shame and I translated it into an appreciation of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I replied to the wrong reply.)

      Why is Ian so vulgar? I guess I forgive him, if it helped you to like Stevens.

      Delete