Sunday, April 8, 2012

Heart of Autumn

Heart of Autumn
Robert Penn Warren

Wind finds the northwest gap, fall comes.
Today, under gray cloud-scud and over gray
Wind-flicker of forest, in perfect formation, wild geese
Head for a land of warm water, the boom, the lead pellet.

Some crumble in air, fall. Some stagger, recover control,
Then take the last glide for a far glint of water. None
Knows what has happened. Now, today, watching
How tirelessly V upon V arrows the season's logic,

Do I know my own story? At least, they know
When the hour comes for the great wing-beat. Sky-strider,
Star-strider - they rise, and the imperial utterance,
Which cries out for distance, quivers in the wheeling sky.

That much they know, and in their nature know
The path of pathlessness, with all the joy
Of destiny fulfilling its own name.
I have known time and distance, but not why I am here.

Path of logic, path of folly, all
The same - and I stand, my face lifted now skyward,
Heating the high beat, my arms outstretched in the tingling
Process of transformation, and soon tough legs,

With folded feet, trail in the sounding vacuum of passage,
And my heart is impacted with a fierce impulse
To unwordable utterance -
Toward sunset, at a great height.

1 comment:

  1. I read "Poetry" (...if you didn't know that "Poetry" was the title of a poem, that would look like a funny insult). I thought it was very appropriate and enlightening. I appreciated the combination of poetry's "rawness" with that which is genuine. It feels like a healthy compromise. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete