Sunday, April 15, 2012

Jam

I highly enjoyed the article.  All the symbolism... and irony.

Look at all of the problems my parents go through to see me.  They would be better off not wasting their time to come visit, only to be turned away because the nurses secretly don't want to deal with them, but want me to keep bringing in money for them.
Back when I was younger I was naive and stupid.  I didn't see the evil that lurked around me.  I didn't notice all of the hatred being aimed at me.  What danger I put myself into without even knowing.
Look at how much worse this paranoia, this disease  has grown.  I have only gotten worse, so much worse.
Why are they thinking about how to bring me away from this sanitarium?  I have been prevented from escaping this cruel world three times by this place.  If I am home, can I finally succeed?  They must be doing this because they want me to end this all.


Jam represents the sweet things in life.

Apricots symbolize love.  The entire journey out to the sanitarium is hard and stressful for us, but we love our son and want to see him, regardless of the struggle it is to get there.
Grape is the symbol for fertility and money.  Back in Europe when the boy was born, they had a maid and the husband made good money and all was right with the world.
Plum plants are healing.  As she is drawn out of her awful memories of the war to the sound of her husband awakening, she is reminded that is all in the past.  The feelings are not nearly as awful now as they were when the events were occurring.
Quince stands for protection.  They decide that they will do whatever it takes to bring their son back to them.  Surely they can keep an equally good eye on him and protect and cherish him more than they or the staff can.  They can protect him from his demons.

The crab apple is the last jam the father gets to.  It stands for, among other things, immortality.  If the girl now knew how to dial the correct phone number, then the phone number was unrelated.  The son is now eternally free of his demons.

No comments:

Post a Comment