Thursday, March 8, 2012

"There is no malice, only some malic acid." Seriously, Thoreau?

If Emerson speaks only in topic sentences, then Thoreau speaks only in supporting details. Note: I do not mean this as an insult! But where I found myself searching out metaphors to ground myself in Emerson's work, in "Wild Apples" I had to search for explicit relation to humanity-- lines like "...but the apple emulates man's independence and enterprise." It seems while Emerson is concerned with nature as a metaphor for the human mind, Thoreau's writing is more biocentric; he lets himself become fascinated by nature in and of itself. "Let your condiments be in the condition of your senses. To appreciate the flavor of these wild apples requires vigorous and healthy senses..." says Thoreau, while Emerson says, "So much only of life as I know by experience, so much of the wilderness I have vanquished and planted, or so far have I extended my being, my dominion." Now, I'm not well read in either Thoreau or Emerson, so I don't mean to speak in generalizations, but it seems to me Emerson preaches alignment with nature for the benefit of the mind ("my being, my dominion"), while Thoreau sees unity with nature as being, among other things, an end in itself ("to appreciate the flavor of these wild apples").

1 comment:

  1. Well-put. This is basically the difference I see. As I mentioned in a comment on Alexa's post, I see this particularly in Thoreau's journey to see the crap apple tree in Mississippi....if this were Emerson, he'd be searching for Beauty, or Spirit, or at the very least the specific "spiritual fact" represented by the tree. But not Henry, He just wants to check out a tree.

    It's a bit more complicated, though, than this binary would suggest. First of all, look at the opening sentence in the essay, and the way Thoreau uses snatches of cultural history to mirror the natural history he's relating. He certainly seems to think some form of human/nature correspondence is in operation.

    I think you're exactly right about the topic sentences/supporting details. Sometimes they don't even seem to be supporting anything.

    ReplyDelete