Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dorothy in "The Recluse"?

In William's poem "The Recluse", there's a substantial portion of the poem where he refers to someone as "she": "But either She whom now I have who now / divides with me this loved abode was there". Could this possibly be Dorothy? Their incredibly close relationship leads me to think it is, particularly the fact that he says they share this "abode". I find it interesting that Dorothy figures in her brother's writing so heavily, particularly because she seems to be such in important tool for William. The prefaced explained quite clearly that William needed Dorothy to write and his poems often directly mimicked her journals-- "the poor man found he could not stop himself using her very words." This level of importance puts a new spin on Noelle and I's silly mocking skit of William and Dorothy that should now go, "Oh, hey, Dorothy, what's up? Oh, you're writing? Can I um... Can I take a look? I promise I won't copy it... I mean, not really! Because... well, my writing is amazing and yours is just a journal so... Yeah, thanks!"

1 comment:

  1. I think now would be an appropriate time to tell you-- I'm adapting our skit into a screenplay. We're both playing the part of William and Dorothy will be represented by a kitten wearing a bonnet next to a vase of wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete